Monday, February 8, 2010

Never Underestimate Your Importance!

As a parent of a teen or a parent of little ones, it's easy to underestimate your importance and influence in the life of your child. I know I forget this often - especially as my little ones are becoming more and more independent.

I'm reading The Space Between by Walt Mueller. He writes about influencing your kids by just being available to them. I'm a planner and I think that I must always plan time with my kids. Mueller writes:
Recently a friend, and the father of three teenagers, asked me, "Do you now when my kids want to talk to me?" "When?" I asked. "Whenever they want to." He was learning that you don't necessarily schedule time with your kids as you once did. Instead, you make yourself available at even the most inconvenient times. you must always be ready to take advantage of relationship-building moments.
I need to hear that and practice that!

I plan to review The Space Between when I'm finished reading it.

No comments: